Beautiful fresh summery flavors come to life in this simple meal with courgettes, aubergines, lots of tomatoes and a beautiful combination of smoked paprika, thyme and cumin. Adding in chickpeas to this classic veggie combo boosts the protein with no extra effort at all. You can also swap the peppers or tomatoes in this recipe for freshly prepared if that is what you have to hand.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 courgette sliced into medium cubes
- 1 aubergine chopped into medium cubes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 jar 450g roast red peppers drained and chopped up
- 1 can crushed tomatoes or tomatoes
- 1 tsp balmamic glaze
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch chill flakes – optional
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pan, add the oil and then fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped veg and fry for a further 5- 7 minutes until the veg softens.
- Now add in the smoked paprika, thyme, cumin and tomato purée, stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and roast peppers, cover and cook for 15 minutes until everything softens.
- You can now add the balsamic, seasonings and chickpeas. Stir to combine and check the seasoning.
- Turn off the heat and add the extra virgin olive oil.
Pan griddled bread;
- Heat a griddle pan to medium.
- Brush some extra virgin olive oil onto all both sides of the bread. Sprinkle with sea salt
- Add to the pan and toast on one side the flip until toasted on the other side.
- Add all the ingredients to a jar and mix to combine.
Like this recipe? Purchase Niki's debut cookbook Rebel Recipes.