Did you know that in the UK, 80% of kids aren't eating enough veggies? VegPower UK is on a mission to encourage kids to load their plates with more vegetables, and so Bettina from Bettina's Kitchen has taken up this challenge with this delicious meal idea! A fun, beautiful way to get munching on more plants.
- Makes 6 fritters/3 portionsServings
For A "Vegan Egg"
- 60 g (2 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) chickpea (gram) flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1⁄2 cup) water
- olive oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 courgette (zucchini), cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk spice
- 1 red or yellow (bell) pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 carrot, cut into ribbons
- 1 spring onion (scallion), green and all, sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- chilli jam and vegetables or green salad, to serve
Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cider vinegar and water in a large mixing
bowl and leave to stand.
Squeeze the courgette of excess liquid and add to the vegan egg mix with the rest of the vegetables.
Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and spoon out the fritters four at a time. I then gently press down the fritters with a saucepan lid that is smaller than the pan. Fry for 3–5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
Repeat with the rest of the mixture and serve immediately with chilli jam and extra fresh greens or seed sprinkles.
This recipe has been generously shared by Bettina's Kitchen. Check out their website for even more delicious plant-based recipes.