In addition to its healthy ingredients, this vegan Chinese food recipe is earth-friendly. Just think of all the takeout packaging you won’t have to throw away by making this vegan stir fry darling at home!
See Kate from Herbivore's Kitchen's full tips for making a mean Lo Mein on her website.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 15-20 shiitake mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp high-heat, neutral-tasting oil divided
- 1 bunch broccolini washed and trimmed
- 1/2 red pepper washed and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small zucchini washed and spiralized
- 1 small yellow squash washed and spiralized
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 carrot washed and spiralized
- 1 pkg Ramen Noodles (4 "cakes" or 1 "cake" per person) - I used Lotus Foods’ Organic Jade Pearl Rice Ramen Noodles
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- green scallions sliced, for garnishment
- Spiralize the carrots, zucchini and yellow squash. Set the carrots aside and put the zucchini and yellow squash in a colander. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt and allow to rest until ready to stir fry.
- Cook the ramen noodles al dente according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine the soy sauce, maple syrup and toasted sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Drain and pat the yellow squash and zucchini dry with a clean towel. It is important to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and water to your wok (or a large, deep-sided skillet). Simmer until the water has cooked off. Add 1 tbsp of neutral oil and sauté the shiitakes until browned. Add the broccolini and red pepper. Sauté until the broccolini is bright green. Remove from the wok.
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil and add in the cooked rice noodles. Toss gently as the noodles start to sear.
- Push the rice ramen to the side and add the spiralized vegetables to the wok. Toss for a minute or so, allowing them to sear. Add the other cooked vegetables and toss through the sauce. Stir fry until hot. Serve immediately with green scallions.
- Serving Size: 4