This plant-based potato bake is a wonderful comfort meal and perfect for dinner or lunch - and is completely gluten-free!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and sliced (900 g)
- 3 cups pumpkin chopped into 1-inch cubes (400 g)
- 1 heaping cup dry lentils (I used brown ones) (200 g)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or water (480 ml)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 batch of vegan cheese sauce or 7 oz (200 g) vegan cheese of choice
- 2/3 cup vegan cream cheese (150 g)
- Spice mix: 1/2 tbsp onion powder, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, sea salt & pepper to taste, and fresh or dried thyme to taste (optional)
- Fresh herbs to garnish (e.g. parsley or thyme)
- Fried onion rings to garnish (optional)
- Rinse lentils under running water. I prefer to soak the lentils for about 10-15 minutes in lukewarm water because they are better digested this way (this step is optional). Drain the water afterward.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice potatoes about 0.25 inches thick (0,6 cm). Cook in salted water for 12 minutes or until fork-tender (but not too soft).
- Chop the pumpkin, onion, and garlic.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pot, stir in the onion and fry for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, all spices, the lentils and 2 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until there is no water left in the pot.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- While the lentils cook, you can prepare the vegan cheese sauce (or use store-bought vegan queso instead). Next, add the vegan cream cheese to the vegan cheese sauce and stir with a whisk.
- Toss the pumpkin with the other half tbsp of oil and fry in a pan for 3-5 minutes.
- Add a layer of the cooked potato slices into a greased baking dish.
- Then add the cooked lentil mixture.
- Now pour about half of the vegan cheese sauce/cream cheese mixture on top.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and the remaining potato slices.
- Finally, pour the other half of the vegan cheese sauce/cream cheese mixture on top.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs (e.g. parsley). Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6