The trick to good French toast is of course the bread. You must use stale bread. If you use fresh bread it will be too soft and turn out soggy in the end. 2-3 days old is ideal but I have done it with 4-5 day old bread and it is great. You can use any bread you like really but a thicker slice of French or Italian bread works great for this. If you are able to get your hands on a vegan brioche or challah bread that would be even more amazing.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3-4 thick slices of old bread
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 vegan egg (replacer)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp coconut sugar *or any sugar you like
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Cooking spray or a little oil for cooking
- Cut bread into thick slices.
- Prepare vegan egg according to the directions on the package.
- In a deep dish or big bowl add the nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, turmeric, coconut sugar, cinnamon and prepared vegan egg.
- Whisk it all together until well incorporated.
- Soak each piece of bread in the liquid for 5-10 seconds per side. The older your bread the longer you can soak it for.
- Once all pieces have been soaked bring it over to your pan.
- You can lightly spray with cooking spray or add 1 tsp of oil.
- Cook the pieces of bread on one side for 2-3 minutes on a low heat. Once the bottom is cooked, crispy and golden you can flip it. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. If you use coconut sugar it may turn the French toast slightly red don’t be alarmed.
- Once the toast is cooked add fruit, maple syrup, powdered sugar whatever you like.
- Serving Size: 2