If you don't like spending too much time in the kitchen - Gaz Oakley's vegan corn chowder takes only 15 minutes to make. And if you're also not a fan of washing up, don't worry. The bowl is made out of bread.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 chili
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups/ 480ml vegan cream
- 2 cups / 480ml vegetable stock
- 3 cups of sweetcorn - half blitzed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Round loaf of bread - top cut off and middle scooped out
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Charred corn kernels (optional)
1. Pre heat a large sauce pan over a high heat.
2. Add the onion, celery, chilli & garlic to a food processor and blitz until they are chopped fine.
3. Add the oil to the pan, followed by the onion mixture, paprika, thyme & bay.
4. Sauté the mix for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the cauliflower & cook for another minutes.
5. Turn the heat down then add the plain flour. Cook out the flour for a minute or so. Then add the cream & stock.
6. Mix well to remove any lumps.
7. Add the blitzed corn & allow the soup to come to a boil and thicken up for around 4-5 minutes.
8. Just before serving add the whole sweetcorn, soy & seasoning.
9. Serve inside your bread bowl, garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
You can pre-order Gaz Oakley's upcoming cookbook Vegan Christmas.
- Serving Size: 4