Freezing, then defrosting tofu, is a great way to increase the chewiness! When the tofu freezes, the water pockets expand - after defrosting, these pockets remain larger for a chewier tofu that absorbs flavor even better! To make this gluten free, simply swap out the crumbs for a gluten free alternative.
- 20-25 nuggetsServings
- 1 block of frozen and thawed (will explain in directions) firm or extra firm tofu
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
- Freeze your tofu. You will need to do this at least 1 day in advance. Take the whole package do not open it and put it in the freezer.
- Allow to freeze completely and then thaw completely before using.
- Preheat your oven to 425F prior to using.
- Once the tofu has thawed, you will need to press it. Frozen tofu retains a lot more water than unfrozen tofu. So do not be afraid to give it a good press and really get all the water out.
- Make the breadcrumb mixture by adding breadcrumbs, salt, nutritional yeast and paprika to a dish. Mix well.
- Cut the tofu in half so you now have two big squares. Then you can break off pieces of the tofu or cut it. I think breaking it makes for a more authentic chicken nugget shape.
- Coat the tofu in breadcrumbs. They will stick to the tofu because it will still be slightly wet.
- Line up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and flip.
- Then generously coat the tofu in oil (I used olive oil).
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes. Tofu should be very crispy and golden when done.
- Pair with your favorite sauces (I did ketchup and a mix of vegan mayo and hot sauce) and some fries.
Like this recipe? Purchase Francesca's cookbook Healthy-Ish Comfort Food.