The components for a typical baba ganoush are fairly similar to that for hummus: tahini, lemon olive oil and garlic just swap the chickpeas for roasted aubergine flesh. To make this Smoky Aubergine Baba Ganoush a little special, add smoked paprika and lots of black pepper. It really intensifies the roasted and charred flavour of the vegetables.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large aubergine
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh coriander and crackers
- Preheat an oven to 180Fan/200*C and cut the aubergine in half lengthways. Place cut side down on a baking tray and roast for about 30 minutes until tender. Allow to rest until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from the aubergine and add the flesh to the food processor and add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary and adjust the taste with extra paprika for heat, lemon juice for tang and salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Chill for 1 hour or so and then pour into a small bowl, drizzle with extra olive oil, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with crackers. Chilling before serving is recommended but not essential.
- Serving Size: 2