Layers of thick maple-glazed tofu belly, soft chickpea egg, a whole home-made hash brown, leafy greens and drool-worthy lashings of Sriracha mayo. Assemble between a bagel for an English muffin for the full effect! Just don’t forget the napkins.
Thick Slab Tofu Belly
- 1 block tofu, sliced 4 thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup tamari (gluten-free – low sodium)
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS maple syrup
- 1 tsp granulated onion or garlic
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
Chickpea Egg Salad
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 3 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- 2 TBS vegan mayo
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp black salt
- Salt, kosher to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Maris Piper, grated
- 1 TBS Oil
- 1 TBS rice flour (or cornflour or potato flour)
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
LOW & SLOW Thick Slab Tofu Belly:
- Preheat oven to 180c: In a bowl or jar, whisk or shake together the tamari, maple syrup, granulated onion, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Place in a small baking dish and pour the marinade over them to cover evenly. Marinade overnight for the best result.
- Then cover with parchment and Roast for 30 – 45 minutes @180c, remove from oven and let cool. Reheat by pan-searing in a hot skillet before serving.
Chickpea Egg salad:
- In a large bowl add drained chickpeas and mash with a potato masher.
- Add in remaining ingredients and gently fold and stir all together.
- Form into 4 small round patties – warm slightly in the oven or microwave.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- Heat skillet on med-high heat, form in small patties and cook on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
- Bake in 200c for 10-15 minutes to finish
- Toast bagel or English muffin
- Sriracha mayo dressing (optional)
- Leafy greens for color (optional)
- Assemble sandwich
- Have Napkins