This bread is hearty, wholesome and dense - just perfect for adding either sweet or savory toppings. Before baking, score the loaf and top with with extra seeds, then allow the smells to waft through the kitchen as it bakes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 loafServings
- 450g spelt or wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
- 80g mixed seeds, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a large pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp syrup
- 150ml plain coconut or other yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 170Fan/190*C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Measure the yoghurt into a measuring jug and top up with water to reach 450ml. Stir in the syrup.
3. Stir together the flour, seeds, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and bring together with a knife until you have a sticky dough. Leave it to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a large round or oval, about 25 cm. Do not knead the dough or handle it too much. Transfer to the baking sheet, sprinkle over a few more seeds (about 1-2 tbsp), lightly score the dough horizontally a few times and bake for 30-35 minutes until it is golden and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
5. Leave to cool on a wire rack, covered in a clean tea towel to keep the crust soft. Keep the loaf air-tight and best enjoyed fresh (within 2-3 days).
- Serving Size: 1 loaf