Pancakes aren’t just for breakfast, especially when they’re savoury – a brilliant bread alternative if you’re avoiding wheat and of course buckwheat is a complete plant-based protein. You can use gram flour (although not a complete protein like buckwheat) instead of buckwheat flour if preferred and you can top them with anything.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (reserve 3 tbsp of cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup good quality tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 tbsp water
- Juice 2 lemon
- 1 Tsp sea Salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Pinch sea Salt
- Twist black Pepper
- 2 peppers chopped
- Splash olive oil
For the hummus:
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl with the baking soda and cover with cold water. Allow to sit overnight
- Rinse the chickpeas again and add to a large pan with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Skim off any froth that rises to the surface.
- When the chickpeas are tender, drain and rinse under cold water.
To blend the hummus:
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender and blitz until very smooth and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Top with extra virgin olive oil and paprika.
To make the pancakes:
- Preheat a non stick frying pan with a little olive oil.
Add the ingredients to large bowl and mix until you get a think batter. Spoon the mixture a 1/4 cup ladle full at a time into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes until the underside is firm.
- Carefully flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute or so until the pancakes are cooked through and slightly golden.
To roast the peppers:
- Add the peppers to a large baking tray and toss them in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Bake on a medium heat for 30 minutes or until soft and browning a little.
Like this recipe? Purchase Niki's debut cookbook Rebel Recipes.
- Serving Size: 3