A classic potato salad made vegan! This creamy salad is satisfying, delicious, and comforting! It can be enjoyed during the grilling season in summer or as a traditional side dish on Christmas Eve.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds (900 g) waxy potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- optional: olives, silverskin onion
- One 15 oz can (1 1/2 cups) white beans rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup (40 g) hulled hemp seeds or 1/3 cup of soaked cashews
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2-1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- fresh dill to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes. You can leave the peel on for more texture if you prefer. Add potatoes to a medium/large saucepan and cover with water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender (but not mushy!), then drain and set aside.
- Add cannellini beans, plant-based milk, hemp seeds (or soaked cashews), garlic cloves, mustard, lime juice, vinegar, and 1/2 tsp sea salt to a blender. Blend on high speed and scrape down the sides if needed until the dressing is completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, chopped peppers, onion, and dill pickles. Pour over the dressing and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper/vinegar if needed. I added 1/2 sea salt in addition.
- Garnish with fresh herbs of choice and serve at room temperature or cold. Enjoy! It tastes actually best after 24 hours! Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days.
- Serving Size: 4