This wonderfully basic recipe will do the trick as a plain quiche, but where's the fun in that? The best add-ins are kala namak (black salt), basil pesto and sun-dried tomatoes. Other fool-proof additions include dairy-free cheese, sautéed leek and onion, jalapeño or whatever's on hand.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kala namak
- 2 sheets of dairy-free shortcrust pastry
- Fillings (optional, highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees celsius, and reduce to 220 degrees once you’ve put the quiche in the oven. Reserve 1 teaspoon kala namak and blend all other ingredients except for the shortcrust pastry.
- For the crust, spray an oven-safe dish with a light coating of oil and fill it with a whole sheet of shortcrust pastry. If needed, use the second sheet to fill in the gaps and smooth this out to make a crust.
- Pour the blended mixture into your crust and add any fillings you’ve chosen. Top with shredded cheese if desired. Bake for 30-45 minutes (until a skewer inserted comes out mostly clean). Serve with remaining black salt on top.
Like this recipe? Preorder Zacchary's upcoming cookbook "Vegan Junk Food" here.
- Serving Size: 6