WARNING! This recipe makes a LOT of cake (of course that's a good thing you say). But if you are catering to a smaller group it will work perfectly if you half the ingredients and use smaller pans to bake the cakes in.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 Large Double Layer CakeServings
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp bread soda
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 cups soft brown sugar
- 1.5 cups vegan butter (room temperature)
- 200g vegan chocolate (melted)
- 800ml vanilla soya milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150g vegan chocolate (melted)
- 100g vegan butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups icing sugar (sieved)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup vanilla soya milk
- 3 tbsp vanilla soya milk
- 150g vegan marshmallows
- 1 cup raspberries or alternative berries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the soya milk and apple cider vinegar together and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Sieve the flour, cacao powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix to combine.
- Make sure the butter is soft and at room temperature. Add it to the dry ingredients and rub the vegan butter into the dry ingredients to form a crumb consistency.
- Lastly add the soya milk mixture and the melted chocolate to the dry ingredients and whisk to ensure there are no visible lumps.
- Cut 2 circles of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your 2 cake tins and place them into the base of the tins to prevent the cake from sticking. You can also rub some of the vegan butter along the sides of the tins to prevent the cakes from sticking to the sides and make removing them from the tins much easier!
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. After 25 minutes, check they are done by sticking a clean knife into the centre of the cakes. If the knife comes out clean, the cakes are ready. If the knife has batter on the sides, allow them to bake further.
- Once ready, remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool before removing from the tins. Once cooled, remove them from the tins and sit them on a cooling rack. Ensure that the cakes are completely cool before attempting to frost them.
- Whisk together the frosting ingredients until smooth. (Use an electric beater if you have one)
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to get slightly thicker.
- Simply heat the soya milk and marshmallows in a sauce pan until melted.
- Spread the mixture on top of one of the cakes evenly.
- Sandwich the second cake onto of the first and coat the entire cake with the chocolate frosting using a spatula.
Like this recipe? Purchase Christina's debut cookbook Unbaked.
- Serving Size: 1 Large Double Layer Cake