There is something you need to know. Traditional coffee crumb cake doesn’t contain coffee. It’s meant for eating with coffee. So put a pot on and put this cake together for the ultimate combo! Sara Kidd's top tip is to heat the golden syrup in your microwave so it pours easier.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1x 10 inch cakeServings
Coffee Crumb Topping
- 350 g plain all purpose flour
- 100 g vegan bread crumbs
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 220 g vegan butter or margarine
- 200 g plain all purpose flour
- 30 g cornflour or cornstarch
- 190 g white caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 177 mls soy milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 79 ml water
- 3 tbs veggie oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- golden syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tbsp boiling water
To Make Cake Crumb
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, bread crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- Melt butter and add to mixing bowl. Using a large wooden spoon or a spatula mix together until it becomes a firm crumb. Set aside.
To Make Cake
- Preheat oven to 160C / 320F. Grease, line and dust with flour a 9.5inch/24cm square cake tin. Make sure the baking paper is overlapping the tin so you can easily lift the cake out.
- In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and boiling water to make a paste. Set aside for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, cornflour/cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- In a measuring jug mix soy milk and vinegar until it becomes slightly thicker. Add egg replacer, water, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Make a well in your flour mix and pour in wet ingredients. Gently mix wet into dry with a whisk until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into your cake tin. Sprinkle crumble over the top evenly. If you're having trouble with this rub the crumble between your hands over the batter. Make sure to completely cover the batter. Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Once out of the oven allow to sit for 10 minutes. Using the excess baking paper life the cake out of the tin and allow it to cool.
- Gaze with golden syrup and serve with fresh coffee. This cake will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Like this recipe? You can purchase a copy of Sara's debut cookbook 'Bake Vegan Stuff'.