The name is enough to convince anyone, but you really have to try this combination of easy-to-make ice cream with all the flavors you love out of a really good chai latte. Zacchary Bird knows how to make ice cream and if you follow this recipe, you will too!
- 1L of ice creamServings
- 280 ml (91/2 fl oz) soy milk
- 140 g (5 oz/3⁄4 cup) brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 11/2 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of guar gum or xanthan gum
- 2 chai or black tea bags
- 185 ml (61/2 fl oz/3⁄4 cup) soy milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 45 g (11⁄2 oz/1⁄2 cup) soy milk powder
- 55 g (2 oz/1⁄4 cup) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Place the milk, sugar, cloves, cardamom, ginger, vanilla essence, salt and gum in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Turn the heat off, add the tea bags and steep with the lid on for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and allow to cool before removing the tea bags.
To make the ice cream, place the milk, lemon juice and milk powder in a blender and briefly blend together. With the motor running, slowly add the coconut and sunflower oil until the mixture becomes thick. Add the cooled chai mixture and blend again until combined. Transfer the mixture to the fridge until completely chilled.
Place the mixture in an ice-cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions for 25–30 minutes. Pour the ice cream into a freezer-friendly container and cover the surface of the ice cream with plastic wrap. Make sure the container is airtight to avoid ice crystals forming.
Freeze overnight, then scoop and serve.
Love this recipe? You've got to try the rest! Get them all when you order Vegan Junk Food.