Never made homemade taquitos? Don't worry, they are surprisingly super easy to make and taste delicious. Especially when covered in vegan cheese sauce.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Buffalo Chickpea Sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized onion,chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (passata)
- 3 tbsp hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Spice mix: 1 tsp onion powder, 3/4 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar), 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, sea salt, ground pepper, and chili powder to taste
- 10 small tortillas (gluten-free if needed) about 14 cm in diameter
- vegan cheese sauce (or your favorite dipping sauce)
- Using a fork, roughly mash the chickpeas in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium heat and add the chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic and spice mix and sauté for a further minute.
- Add all other sauce ingredients + chickpeas to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Let simmer on low heat for about 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat.
- Taste the mixture, if you want it spicier, add more chili powder to taste.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F (210 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place about 2 tbsp of the filling onto each tortilla and roll them up tightly. Place every tortilla seam-side down on the baking sheet, next to each other.
- Brush them with a little bit of vegetable oil (to make them even more crispy).
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Drizzle with vegan cheese sauce (optional). Enjoy with your favorite dip!
- Serving Size: 10