It might sound a bit weird using apple in a Dahl but it actually works so well! This recipe is also perfect for freezing so you can always have a nutritious meal on hand.
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 white onion – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- A thumb piece of ginger – grated
- A small piece of fresh turmeric – grated
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 jazz apple – grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup of red split lentils – rinsed
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add the coconut oil to a large pan and place on medium heat. Once hot, add in the curry powder, cumin & cayenne pepper. Cook for a few minutes, making sure to keep stirring to prevent from burning.
Add in the chopped onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion start to caramelize.
Add in the grated ginger, turmeric and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
Add in the grated apple, lentils and stir to coat. Stir in the coconut milk and 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft and you have a creamy consistency.
Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and top with coconut yogurt, chopped coriander and some chili flakes.