Pumpkin pie is a classic dessert for the holiday season and we actually can't get enough of it! Since this recipe is quite healthy, you cmake it several times a year and never regret it.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 15 oz (425 g) pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) (*see notes)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) coconut milk canned (full-fat)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) coconut sugar or brown sugar (*see notes)
- 2 1/2 tbsp (50 g) maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener
- 3 tbsp (24 g) cornstarch or tapioca flour (*see notes)
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (*see notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 tsp salt
- Whipped coconut cream (optional)
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (160 g) gluten-free flour (*see recipe notes)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) almond flour (*see recipe notes)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 1/4 cup water)
- 2 1/2 tbsp (30 g) coconut oil softened
- 2 tbsp (20 g) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- To make the flax egg, simply put 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (or ground chia seeds) to a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of water and mix with a whisk. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put all dry crust ingredients into a medium-sized bowl, then add the wet ingredients, stir with a spatula or fork. Then use your hands to knead the dough until it holds together or use a food processor! If the dough appears too dry, add a tiny bit of cold water.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a greased 9-inch pie pan and about 2 inches (5 cm) up the sides. Put the pan into the fridge (while you make the filling) and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Process all filling ingredients in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the uncooked pie crust and spread it with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the pie in the oven but open the door of the oven. Wait for a further 5 minutes, then take it out of the oven and let cool at room temperature. The middle of the pie will still be a bit wobbly and that's normal.
- After the pie has cooled on the counter for a while, place it into the fridge to firm up. This takes at least 2 hours but preferably leave it there overnight.
- Decorate the pumpkin pie with whipped coconut cream. Enjoy! Store pie leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Serving Size: 9