This decadent plant-based chocolate loaf only includes nine ingredients. Simple, yet delicious, stuff!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 110ml / 3.7 fl.oz plant-based milk (we use oat milk)
- 200g / 7oz dark chocolate
- 1 avocado
- 150g / 5.3oz self-raising flour
- 150g / 5.3oz sugar (we use light-brown)
- 60ml / 2 fl.oz coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g / 5.3oz dark chocolate
- 100ml / 3.4 fl.oz plant-based milk
- dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F and line an approx. 20cm x 10cm (8″ x 4″) loaf tin with baking paper (tip, cut a rectangle piece of baking paper and cut into the corners so the paper folds into the tin).
- In a small bowl stir together the apple cider vinegar and plant-based milk to create a buttermilk. Leave to one side while you continue the next steps.
- Add the dark chocolate to a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan containing 2cm (approx. 1 inch) of hot water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer on a low heat (make sure the water level isn’t high enough so it’s contact with the bowl). Stir occasionally. Once the chocolate has melted completely remove the bowl from the heat and transfer the chocolate to a food processor.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the stone. Scoop out the flesh into the food processor along with the self-raising flour, sugar, coffee, baking powder and the buttermilk from earlier. Process the ingredients until completely smooth, but avoid over-processing the mixture otherwise the loaf might not rise.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined loaf tin. Give the tin a shake to level the top and use the back of a spoon to push the mixture into the edges. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for around 30 minutes, or until the loaf ‘sinks’ back into itself a little.
- When the loaf is ready, start making the ganache by adding the dark chocolate and plant-based milk to a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan containing 2cm (approx. 1 inch) of hot water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer on a low heat (make sure the water level isn’t high enough so it’s contact with the bowl). Stir occasionally. Once the chocolate has melted completely, remove the bowl from the heat and pour the ganache over the top of the loaf. Give the tin a shake to even out the ganache and leave to set at room temperature or, if it’s a warm day, leave it to cool then pop it in the fridge until it has set.
- When you’re ready to serve, pull the loaf out of the tin using the baking paper and shave some dark chocolate on top. Slice and enjoy! We love to serve this with strawberries and vegan ice cream.
Like this recipe? Purchase Roxy and Ben's debut cookbook So Vegan In 5.
- Serving Size: 8