Toddler Hospitalized After Severe Reaction To Dairy-Contaminated 'Vegan' Pizza

Zayaan was hospitalized for multiple days
Author:
Publish date:
Pizza Hut Accident

The parents asked multiple times whether the pizza or cheese contained dairy (Photo: Instagram)

Parents Samia
and Sajid Hussain had to rush their toddler to hospital after he ingested a
dairy-laden 'vegan' pizza from a Pizza Hut in Blackpool, Lancashire.

Sajid and
Samia were reportedly explicit about their son's severe dairy allergy, having mentioned
it multiple times before ordering, and again when their food arrived.

Unresponsive

Shortly
after eating the pizza, however, the pair noticed something amiss with two-year-old
Zayaan Hussain.

Sajid said: "10 minutes went by and Zayaan just started shutting down.

"He wasn't
responding to me or my wife."

Allergic
reaction

After
noticing their son's deteriorating state, the parents gave Zayaan an antihistamine
and inhaler, and called an ambulance.

The
situation continued to escalate.

Sajid said: "While I was on the phone Zayaan was violently sick everywhere and when the
paramedics arrived his oxygen levels were really low."

Emergency Services

Zayaan's condition reportedly grew worse en route to the Blackpool Victoria Hospital

Hospitalized

Zayaan was
hospitalized for two days after the incident, with his parents gravely
concerned for his health.

Sajid said: "It actually got worse as we got to the hospital. There were talks of him having
to be resuscitated."

'Human
error'

Pizza Hut
has reportedly apologized to the family for the mistake.

A
spokesperson said:
"We realise it was an unacceptable situation and have
already completed an internal investigation with the Hut, which found that the
wrong pizza was given to the family as a result of human error."

'Traumatic'

Sajid, who
has also contacted Environmental Health about the issue, said: "There are no
words to truly describe what we were thinking.

"It was a
very, very traumatic experience and not one I would ever want to go through
again."