Ready to say goodbye to those milk cartons?
1) 1 CUP OF OATS
2) 4 CUPS OF FILTERED WATER
3) 1 tsp VANILLA ESSENCE
4) A DATE
5) A PINCH OF SALT
1) Cover the oats in a bowl with tap water and let them soak for 15 minutes.
2) Sieve the oats, discarding the water, and rinse the oats thoroughly under the tap.
3) Add the oats, the optional ingredients, and 3 cups of filtered water to a high speed blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes.
4) Add up to a cup more water depending on your desired consistency.
5) Sieve the mixture through two sieves, TWICE, in order to remove any remaining solids. You should have a creamy liquid.
6) Transfer and store in a glass airtight container.
Store in the fridge for up to 6 days. But do not heat the mixture as it will turn gelatinous.
Enjoy on your cereal or in a mega milkshake!
The impact of switching milk
Conventional dairy milk is extremely wasteful, harmful to the environment, and to the animals involved.
Total carbon footprint of the UK dairy sector (including emissions from dairy farms, transport, distribution, processing and end use, is estimated to be 15.5 million tonnes of CO₂ per year. (Carbon Trust, 2011). This is equivalent to average of 3,320,000 cars being on the road a year.
Simply switching to a plant based milk, you personally can make a huge difference to your carbon footprint, whilst also knowing you are not causing any suffering to dairy cows or calves.
And making your own milk is one step better. It eliminates the packaging and processing involved in creating non-dairy milks.
If you are looking for some plastic free organic oats, you can get there here at Zero Waste Club.If you are also looking to add some sweetness to your oat milk, you can add some dates. You can get some plastic free dates also here at Zero Waste Club.